Cutting-edge technologies: Menarini Biotech
Biotechnology was born with the discovery of the DNA double helix in the 50s: on April 25, 1953 the first article was published in Nature by James Watson and Francis Crick describing this structure.
Giant steps have led to the development of organic products in less than half a century. Menarini Biotech represents industry excellence.
The creation of a drug using a biotechnological approach has a number of advantages compared to the use of synthetic molecules.
Biotechnology provides the ability to produce drugs that are best suited to the physiology of man and therefore are extremely selective because they aim at a precise target, thereby reducing the drug’s side effects and increasing the therapy’s effectiveness.
The goal of biotechnology is to produce drugs by using living organisms such as bacterial cells, yeast, mammalian cells, etc., that are placed in culture to produce substances with pharmacological activity, such as monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of tumors.
New discoveries, new possibilities, new treatments on the horizon.
Biotechnology is the ideal remedy for curing certain diseases and the right solution for creating certain types of drugs: biological molecules are sometimes the only solution when drugs cannot be manufactured synthetically.
Biotechnology is the last frontier of research and the new foundation of medicine: biological drugs allow science to do what the synthetic drugs still cannot do, and for this reason Menarini Biotech invests in research and innovation.
|PILOT AND INDUSTRIAL PLANTS
Menarini Biotech has the following ‘state of the art’ manufacturing and development facilities together with cutting edge analytical and protein charaterisation laboratories.
These are staffed with noted international experts in their fields fully committed to enhancing Pomezia as a biotechnology centre of excellence.
- Mammalian cells (somatic/hybridoma cells)
- Pilot scale 5-15 litres (stirred tanks, perfusion, hollow fibre, single use systems)
- Industrial scale 300-1500 litres (stirred tanks)
- Pilot scale 2-10 litres
- Industrial scale 300 litres
- CChromatography (capacity up to 2000 l/h with appropriate column sizes)
- Micro-and ultra-filtration
- Cultivation Class D
- Downstream Class C
|FROM THE LAB TO INDUSTRIAL SCALE
- Molecular biology
- Cell engineering
- Fermentation and downstream technologies
- Development and validation of bio-process with genetically-modified organisms
- State of the art characterisation of recombinant proteins
- Excellent Quality Control
- Full Quality Assurance
- Italian Ministry of Health Approved for clinical phase drugs for human use