Florence, 30 June 2015: Menarini welcomed to Florence the athletes honored at the XIX edition of the Menarini International Fair Play Awards – a very special edition since it coincides with Menarini’s 100th anniversary in Florence.
The athletes will be awarded tomorrow, July 1st, in Castiglion Fiorentino (AR). The Menarini International Fair Play Awards ceremony will be filmed by Rai Sport with presenters Franco Lauro, Elisabetta Caporale and Antonello Orlando, and will air on July 3rd at 9:00 p.m. on Rai Sport 1.
Eric Abidal, Gabriel Omar Batistuta, Giancarlo Antognoni, Samuele Papi, Davide Cassani and Derek Redmond are just some of the protagonists of the XIX Menarini International Fair Play Awards who have distinguished themselves for loyalty, ethics and respect of rules and opponents in their professional careers.
For the third consecutive year, the multinational pharmaceutical company Menarini has chosen to associate its name with this event as sponsor.
"Menarini is celebrating one century of activity in Florence, a bond that has lasted since 1915 and that never seems to end - said Ennio Troiano, Human Resources Director of the Menarini Group. The duo, Florence and Menarini, has enabled the Italian pharmaceutical company to expand worldwide and, simultaneously, has also been of value and prestige for the city of Florence, known for its many artistic, as well as industrial and business, treasures. We are truly pleased to be able to celebrate this event by awarding the athletes and in particular two sport legends of Florence, Gabriel Omar Batistuta and Giancarlo Antognoni, in the name of fair play, respect for rules and opponents, ethics and loyalty, all which are so important not only in sports but in all activities of life.""We are grateful to the Menarini pharmaceutical group, which this year celebrates 100 years in Florence, for having included among their initiatives the Menarini Fair Play Awards,” said Angelo Morelli, President of the Fair Play Association. "Not only do we share with Menarini the values of ethics, loyalty and respect, but also the goal of teaching the new generation the importance of fair play in life and in our everyday activities."
The athletes receiving the awards are:
- Fair Play: Derek Redmond (athletics)
- Fair Play Career: Davide Cassani (cycling)
- Legends: Bjorn Daehlie (cross country), Inge De Brujin (swimming), Yana Klochkova (swimming)
- Sport and Environment: Alessio Chiodi (motocross)
- Sport Beyond Sport: Tina Maze (alpine skiing), Andrea Macrì (fencing, ice hockey)
- Sport and Solidarity: Eric Abidal (football)
- Narration of Emotions: Italo Cucci (sports journalist)
- SUSTENIUM Energy and Heart Special Award: Samuele Papi (volleyball)
- Model for Young People: Giusy Versace (Paralympic athletics)
- Sport and Life: Tatjana Lebedeva (athletics)
- A Life Dedicated to Sport: Giancarlo Antognoni (football), Gabriel Omar Batistuta (football)
- SPORT WITHOUT BORDERS Special Award in Memory of Samia: City of Lampedusa
- STUDY and SPORT Fiamme Gialle Special Award: Marco La Capra (taekwondo)
The Gala Dinner of the Menairni International Fair Play Awards took place in Florence’s historic center and several journalists and authorities intervened, such as Eugenio Giani, President of the Regional Council of Tuscany, Andrea Vannucci, Councilor for Sports of the City of Florence, Caterina Biti, President of the City Council of Florence, and Sara Funaro, Welfare and Health Councilor of the City of Florence. All the winners were given Menarini Fair Play pins.